- The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
- In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. –proverb
In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is in for a rough time! –Robert Heinlein
In the country of the blind, the one-eyed people run things, and the two-eyed people are in for a rough time! –Alan Kay
- the well-known committee syndrome – the only form of life with ten bellies and no brain
–Alan Kay, 1969
- Folge nicht den Fußspuren der Meister: Suche, was sie gesucht haben. [Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought.
– 松尾 芭蕉 (Matsuo Bashō) 1643 - 1694
- We have to do more than teach kids to surf the Net; we have to teach them to make waves.
- From sparks to fire:
1) Choose a good driving problem
2) Become immersed in related work
3) Clarify short-term and long-term goals
4) Balance individual and group interests
5) Work hard
6) Communicate with internal and external stakeholders
7) Get past failures. Celebrate success!
–Ben Shneiderman, The Maryland Way, 1993
- Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a straight line.
–Benoit B. Mandelbrot, motto of Raum Schiff Erde 2011
- if it ain't broke don't fix it
- Getting the design right and the right design.
- Technology is neither good nor bad; nor is it neutral.
-Kranzberg’s Lawa /via Bill Buxton
- Ich bin unsterblich. Ich schaue alle Jubellichtjahre mal vorbei, mal hier, mal dort. Gerade bin ich Passagier des Raumschiffes Erde, das mit 60.000 Meilen pro Stunde unterwegs ist irgendwo im Sonnensystem. [Right now I am a passenger on space vehicle Earth zooming about the Sun at 60000 miles per hour somewhere in the solar system.
- There is a central quality which is the root criterion of life and spirit in a man, a town a building, or a wilderness. This quality is objective and precise, but it cannot be named.
–Christopher Alexander, motto of Raum Schiff Erde 2016
- If you do not share your analysis then it is not research, it is a waste of time.
–Dave Winer at reboot11
- Invention is the mother of necessity.
-Kranzberg’s Laws /via Bill Buxton
- A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
–Douglas Adams, 1992
- Why are we born? Why do we die? Why do we spend so much time in between wearing digital watches?
–Douglas Adams, 1979
- Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
Anything that's invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
–Douglas Adams, 2002
- the world is so damn complex […] It’s getting more complex than ever at a more rapid rate that these problems we’re facing have to be dealt with collectively. listen
- Matthias, Aktivist der Medien und Fröhlichkeit
- Researchers of Artificial Intelligence are deep religious believers. They believe that naming a phenomenon is understanding it.
–Frieder Nake /via
- The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
–George Bernard Shaw
- Tradition ist nicht die Anbetung der Asche, sondern die Weitergabe des Feuers. [Tradition is not worshipping the ashes – it is to carry on the fire.
–Gustav Mahler (et al.)
- As he entered the atmosphere, he realized it was all her fault.
- And when the fun goes away, so do I.
-Ivan Sutherland in »Research and Fun«, 2005
- The carrot theory of research management: Research is like growing carrots. And the way you manage that is you pull them out every week and look at how they hang and put them back in the ground. And if in fact you have in fact lots and lots of research reviews and you demand that and your people report their progress and have breakthroughs in a timely fashion, you are not likely to get much.
-Ivan Sutherland in »Research and Fun«, 2005
- Mit offenen Augen durch das Leben zu gehen – darauf kommt es an. [Walk through life with open eyes – that’s what matters.
–Joe Weizenbaum, 2007
- It is a widely held but a grievously mistaken belief that civil courage finds exercise only in the context of world-shaking events. To the contrary, its most arduous exercise is often in those small contexts in which the challenge is to overcome the fears induced by petty concerns over career, over our relationships to those who appear to have power over us, over whatever may disturb the tranquility of our mundane existence.
–Joseph Weizenbaum in »Computer Power and Human Reason«, 1976
- [Werden wir mal menschenähnliche Roboter haben? Und bereitet mir das Sorgen?] Was mir mehr Kummer macht, sind roboterähnliche Menschen. [Are you concerned about human-like robots? – I am more worried about robot-like humans.
-Joe Weizenbaum, 2007
- I can’t understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I am frightened of the old ones.
- Jeder Seemann ein Artist. Zwei Seeleute ein Zirkus. [Each sailor an artist. Two seamen a circus.
–Kapitän Jörg Pollmann
- We are creating the illusion that there is no user illusion anymore.
–Josh Clark, 2012
- Die Philosophen haben die Welt nur verschieden interpretiert; es kommt aber darauf an, sie zu verändern. [Philosophy offers different interpretations of the worls. But your aim should be to change it.
- Mars ist leichter als Mond. Aber auf mich hört ja keiner. [Mars is easier than Moon. But nobody is listening to me.
–Karsten Becker, 2011
- Live ist not about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain.
- technical solutions for nontechnical problems
– Kai von Luck et al. 2010
- Gute Typographie bemerkt man so wenig wie gute Luft zum Atmen. Schlechte merkt man erst, wenn es einem stinkt. [You neither notice good typography nor fresh air. You recognize bad typography when it stinks.
- When too perfect, lieber Gott böse.
–Nam June Paik
- We are not passenger, we are all crew on spaceship earth!
–Marshall McLuhan, motto of Raum Schiff Erde RSE10
- We are shaping the tools. And the tools are shaping us.
- »Think of the confusion.«
»But think of the fun!«
- It is not what you do to the language. It’s what the language does to you.
–Peter Brook /via Fiona Shaw in »Voyage and Return: The Gathering Ireland Festival Symposium«
- Ich glaube an die Macht der Worte. Ein paar von ihnen, in der richtigen Reihenfolge, können die Welt befreien. [I believe in the power of words. A couple of them in the right order can change the world.
–Radovan Tadic in »Erreur de jeunesse« (Jugendsünde), 1989
- God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
- Stay hungry, stay foolish
- Computers don’t actually think. You just think they think. (We think.)
–Ted Nelson in Dream Machines, p12
- Talent matters a lot more than method, methodology or process, and…
Talent is disappearing out the door faster than you can count the open requisitions.
-Tom DeMarco, 2001
- First there was VisiCalc. Then there was PhotoShop. Now there's GoLive. […] It is a joy to learn and a joy to use.
- A single atomic bomb can spoil your day.
- Share your shit!
–Tor Nørretranders at reboot10
- The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed.
–William Gibson, cf. Zeit Magazin
- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- A robot shall not harm a human, or, through inaction, allow a human to come to harm. –Isaac Asimov’s first law of robotics
Any system shall not harm your content or, through inaction, allow your content to come to harm. –Jef Raskin, 2000
Any system shall not harm your interactions or, through inaction, allow your interactions to come to harm. –mprove
- The paradigm shift is not from CLI to GUI to Web to App to Voice.
It is from CLI to CLI & GUI & WebUI & TUI & VUI. It is a rather wicked UI world for the people of our times.
- Nothing is so healing as the human touch.
- Vielleicht Cello und ISS und zum Schluss etwas Kakapo? Anhören
- Heute kommt das Shuttle des Raum Schiff Erde und holt Russland, das Morgenland und 4 Stehlampen ab.
- Wenn ein Mensch träumt, ist es nur ein Traum.
Wenn viele Menschen zusammen träumen, ist es der Anfang einer Wirklichkeit. /via
- Wer nicht Nein sagen kann, der kann ein Ja auch nicht halten. [If you cannot say no, you probably cannot hold to a yes either.
- Während die Tinte trocknet wird der Gedanke langsam zu Schrift. [While ink is drying, thought becomes writing.
- Tue Gutes und rede darüber [Do good stuff and talk about it.
- leading by example
- Never blame the user.
- …was man unter einem masselosen Teilchen verstehe, das um sich selbst rotiere,
ob nicht vielmehr der Raum um dieses Teilchen, um diesen Punkt herumwirble
und wir und die Welt vielleicht mit, wie auf einem wahnwitzigen Karussell um eigentlich nichts…
–Friedrich Dürrenmatt, 1974
- Consulting jobs are all alike: the client presents a problem, you have to figure out the real problem, and figure out how to tell the client.
- If you are working on something that you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you.
- Gestalten heißt: In Fesseln tanzen.
- Creativity comes from the freedom to fail. And freedom to fail comes from experimentation, and that's what gives something its individuality. –Peter Gabriel
Matthias Müller-Prove /mprove/ is an independent innovation and interaction designer. He is an experienced public speaker and author on the areas of innovation, interaction design, and media theory. Matthias shares his insights and methodology of 20+yrs designing professional desktop, web, and mobile interfaces for international operating companies at design and brand institutes.
Please check the menu bar on top to browse further focus areas.
Inventions and ideas are fairly easy compared to success in the market. You need both sides for innovative products and services. Understanding the user and customer is key to sucess.
I’ve been a "senior software development product manager" and "user experience principal" at Oracle. Due to the acquisition of Sun, I am also the "last user experience architect of Sun Microsystems ever". Here are a few resources that I find extremeley relevant and inspiring in order to position a design team in an organization and to develop a strategy for the business.
Ten Bellies and No Brain /2015
The Maryland Way by Ben Shneiderman /1993
Usability im Unternehmen, Kapitel 4 aus Usability Praktisch Umsetzen, Hanser 2003
Dr. Gerhard Wohland: Kulturbeobachtung – ein Element dynamikrobuster Höchstleistung /2007
Interaction Design is means to a great user experience. The intimate relation between humans and machines can foster creative insights and establish a strong brand.
A nearly one page summary of design rules by Jef Raskin /2002
The user experience design approach does not need to be limited to digital products and services. UX Thinking can be applied to live events (conference experience), communities (social experience), exhibitions (scenography), companies (employer branding, feel-good management), cities (urban ux), and much more…
Digital technology is becoming part of our human culture like reading and writing. As we are in the midst of the revolution, my aim is to understand, comment and drive the shift. Computer and information science is – more than ever – a social science. We develop systems for people. Therefore, we are responsible for the consequences on our culture. This is what it means to be a human computer interactivist.
Joseph Weizenbaum: Social and political impact of the long term history of computing /2007
Vom Persönlichen Computer zum Sozialen Medium. Paradigmenwechsel der Mensch-Computer-Interaktion. Kapitel 5 aus Mensch-Computer-Interface. Zur Geschichte und Zukunft der Computerbedienung, transcript 2008
If we do not know where we ar coming from, we do not know where we are heading.
Co-Evolution of Humans and Tools at reboot11 /2009
Slideware. Kommunikationsmedium zwischen Redner und Publikum, Kapitel 2 aus Powerpoint, Fischer 2009
Learning in general